About the Competition
Due to COVID-19 the 2021 Crown’s A&S Championships will be held virtually over the month of January 2021! While running this online will present some challenges, it also creates many opportunities with more time to view entries, discuss with entrants, and participate, and our staff will be assisting every step of the way to ensure broad access.
The online event will provide a web page to host entries by each entrant, both for competitors and displayers, similar to our online A&S displays we have hosted. Members of the populace are encouraged to leave comments as tokens and will be able to view the pages and connect with the artisans.
Additionally, we will assist artisans who are interested in recording short presentations on their topic to share their voice and knowledge in multiple formats for all to view. Judging will be done in two rounds via videocalls (accommodations can be made for those needing alternative technology) during the last two weeks in January.
If you have any concerns regarding your ability to participate please email the Deputy Kingdom MOAS, Mistress Elena Hylton (firstname.lastname@example.org) – we are committed to making this as accessible as possible and there will be a variety of options and accommodations available. See On Accessibility for more information.
Those considering entering are advised that this is a high-level competition where the focus is on picking the kingdom arts and sciences champions. The judging is rigorous, and entrants are expected to be familiar with the kingdom A&S rubric, which will be used to assess entries. The duties of the champions include representing the Crown at events, participating in the Pennsic A&S War Point, and assisting the MoAS office in running next year’s Crown’s A&S.
If anyone is not able to make those commitments, does not wish to serve as champion, or does not enjoy competition, we highly encourage them instead to sign up to display at the event. Display entrants will be showcased along with competitors, and feedback will be available to those displaying if they so wish.
Due to COVID-19 shutting down Kingdom events immediately after A&S Championships 2020, this competition will be to select Champions-in-Waiting, with the actual step-down and step-up to occur during the Spring season in hopes that we may be able to allow both current and future Champions a chance to have their time in Court in-person and transfer regalia (if they are comfortable attending in-person events at that time).
We are asking that entrants review all of the material on this website about the competition. However, a few pieces of information we wish to specifically highlight are listed below.
Registration Pages – opens November 13th
- Competition Format
- Competition Documentation
- Scoring & Rubrics
- Research Paper/Project Entries
- Performing Arts Entries
- Assistance for Planning Your Entry
- Advanced registration is required for all competitors and display entrants – the deadline for Registration will be December 13th.
- Advanced submission of documentation will be required of competitors due to the need for it to be uploaded, the deadline for all documentation, photos, and videos will be January 10th.
- To help improve the judging experience, we will be scheduling rubric training sessions online. Individuals wishing to judge will be asked to attend one of these sessions if they have not judged at Crown’s A&S in the past few years. One-on-one sessions can also easily be arranged for those who can not not attend group sessions . Simply contact the Kingdom A&S minister.
- We will be having online Youth A&S Display as well, with more information to be found at Youth A&S Display.
- While there will be challenges, we will be accepting brewing, cooking, and performance entries. We have special liaisons for those fields to assist the artisans and judges with questions about adapting to this online format. For cooking/brewing please contact Þorfinnr Hróðgeirsson email@example.com. For performance please contact Grim the Skald, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Competition & Display Registration Deadline – December 13th
- Entry, documentation, photo, and video submissions Due – January 10th
- First round of Judging and entrant Display on MOAS Website – January 17th-23
- Judging with Royals – January 24th-31st.
If you have questions about the competition format, display, judging, or if you would like assistance preparing for the competition, please contact the Deputy Kingdom MOAS, Mistress Elena Hylton (email@example.com)