The MoAS office hopes that this list can become an ongoing repository of online A&S classes being held by artisans throughout the kingdom.
As the MoAS Office learns about online A&S classes, we will post them here.
If you know of an online class to add to this list, or if you would like to teach a class, please e-mail: email@example.com
Other Locations for online A&S classes:
- SCA Wide Virtual Classroom and Artisan Display (added 3/21)
- The Kingdom of Atlantia’s Online A&S Classes (added 3/30)
- An-Tir Virtual Calendar with A&S Classes (added 4/7)
- Artemisia Online A&S Classes (added 4/7)
- Calontir Virtual Arts & Sciences Classes (added 7/16)
- Royal University of the Midrealm (added 7/16)
Tuesday, August 11: The History of English Blackwork Embriodery. 7:00 pm EDT. Instructor: Mistress Amy Webbe. A Discussion of English Blackwork Embroidery. We’ll examine the extant pieces in the archaeological record and look at design, stitches, materials, and motifs. Meeting link: https://meet.google.com/tsd-gktv-huf
Friday, August 14: Introduction to Spinning. 7:00 pm EDT. Instructor: Caera Fitzpatrick. Humans have been spinning longer than they’ve been drawing and writing. Why? Because it almost magically turns plants and the fur of animals into thread, yarn and rope. This class will teach you the basics of this ageless skill. If you would like to work along with the instructor, here are the supplies you will need:
- Drop spindle or Turkish spindle (avoid Navaho, Tahkli, and Supported/Russian spindles for now)
- Spinning fiber, preferably wool (Spinning fiber may come as top, roving or batts. Raw, or unprocessed, wool is not recommended)
- Where to get it: Woolery.com (wool is in the “protein fiber” category) or Yarn.com (aka WEBS; use the menu at top left to find spinning supplies). There are many other excellent suppliers that can also be found with a search like spinning supplies, spinning fiber or drop spindles. Consider supporting small local businesses as a few yarn stores carry supplies. Etsy is also a great place to look.
Meeting link: https://meet.google.com/oty-nnfe-rba
Sunday, August 16: Blacksmiths Guild Symposium. 11:00 am-4:00 pm EDT. This will be your place to talk about all things Blacksmithing. We will have a panel of masters to look over your projects, answers questions and talk about the art of blacksmithing. Additional details can be found on the Facebook Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2439175849708492/?active_tab=about
Schedule of Events
- 11:00 – 11:45 am: Hinge Making – Lord Brandr Aronson
- 12:00 – 12:45 pm: Scavanger Metal – Kelen O’Connor
- 1:00 – 1:45 pm: How to Size a Helmet – Christoff of Swampkeype
- 2:00 – 2:45 pm: Basic Knife Making – Master Ulfgierr Ragnarsson the Nice
- 3:00 – 4:00 pm: Open Panel- ask a team of experienced blacksmiths all your questions
There will be a 15 minute break between all sessions.
Online event link: http://meet.google.com/okj-wpaf-pkg
Thursday, August 20: So You Want to Be a Head Cook. 7:00 pm EDT. Instructor: Katya Gordon. This class deals with the practical planning and running of a kitchen for an event. It discusses menu planning (briefly), portioning, shopping, equipment planning, staffing, scheduling and stretching your budget until it squeaks. Meeting link: https://meet.google.com/ywz-sszz-gew
Saturday, August 22: EK Brewing Guild presents BrewU Next. 12:00 – 6:00 pm EDT. The East Kingdom Brewers Guild is proud to present BrewU Next, an online intermediate brewing schola! This event will feature a variety of Intermediate level brewing classes plus an EKBG paneling. More information is coming soon. We hope to see you there! Come join us and learn about brewing! -Magnus, Guildmaster
Sunday, August 23: EK College of Performers presents “A Day at the Opera: Music of the Renaissance Stage: Early Opera, Oratorio & Theatrical Music.” 10:00 am EDT. All are invited for a day of classes and workshops centered around oratorio, early opera, and theatrical music of the Renaissance stage. Featuring a performance from Opera dell’Est, the East Kingdom College of Performer’s premier opera company. Open performance time will be available after the event
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/691305888385494/
Link to the day’s schedule: