At my small work desk in the mudroom part of our basement I have a happy place with FIYAAAA!! And with that fire I make beads! I was requested to make something special for a big sister of mine. I was asked to make an “Order of the Sapphire” award. As you can see, it took many attempts, and in this first picture (left) you see my experiment left 3 beads on a mandrel and 3 chopped off. This was because when molding the beads, the under coat that helps it keep from the mandrel fell off and they got stuck on the mandrel, so I had more head to chop off.
In this next picture (middle) you can probably guess how much glass I went through now, but you can definitely see the mistakes I made. One has a huge crack, and the rest are stubby and uneven, the edges are sharp and it just wasn’t working so I made it my all in the last picture.
In the very last (right) picture is the bead that was the very last one I made, and was a success. It was the right length I hoped for, although the only thing I didn’t like was the uneven ends, but I didn’t tamper with them too much or they would have cracked like the others. I was able to make one that suited nicely and it was sent off and she wears it proudly! I’m very happy with the outcome and I hope you do too! It was very much a pleasure to try and perfect something for someone dear.